Jour Trois a Paris

You have all been asking great questions and making great comments about my posts that I’ve put up since I’ve been in France, so here are some more pictures and information:

This poster is in the Lycee George Sand, telling everyone when the American students would be arriviing and to be sure to try to meet them. We are kind of like celebrities at their school! They are very excited to speak English with us and they love talking to and hanging out with our students. 19 of them will come to DY in April with their 2 teachers and our students at DY will be hosting. Maybe I will be able to have some come and meet you!

Here are a bunch of us waiting for the bus to go on a field trip on Tuesday to Peronne, to see some World War 1 battlegrounds and visit a museum . The sun doesn't rise until alost 8am right now, it was pretty dark at 7am!

A view of French road.

A view of another French road. Look at how low the stoplight is!

This is a castle that is pretty much in ruins, so they made a WW1 museum behind it. We saw lots of neat things that were worn by the soldiers and used at the front during WW1.

We weren't in Paris anymore! Peronne and the Piccardie area are full of fields that are now used as farmland.

This is a British cemetery from WW1. There are a lot of them in the Piccardie area because so many British soldiers died there in WW1.

THis is a French cemetery from WW1. Notice the difference in the headstones and how they are lined up.

So, a lot of you have been asking if we are having a good time, and the answer is OUI!  Madame Boyle, a French teacher at DY and I are staying with Madame Dubois, a French woman who teaches English at the Lycee George Sand.  We are not actually in Paris.  We are staying in Melun, a town that’s about 30 minutes from Paris by train and it’s about a 5 minute walk from Mme. Dubois’ apartment to the train station.

The school is in Le Mee Sur Seine, which is just down the road, and our American students are staying with students who go to that school.  There are many towns that go to this one school, so our students are kind of scattered around.

For this first week, everyone stays with the families of the host students.  On Saturday, we will go to a hotel in Paris and stay there for 4 nights and then we will return home on Wednesday.  Our students are having such a good time with the French students, they don’t want to leave!  All of them have been to Paris with their host families at least once since we’ve been here.  Wednesday was a half day here, as it always is, so a lot of them took the train into Paris yesterday afternoon.  Mme. Boyle have I have gone into Paris twice since we’ve been here.

Our students are having  a great time speaking French and trying out everything they’ve learned.  You can’t help learning new things every minute of the day because you are surrounded by French 24/7.  THeir host students all speak English, but not perfectly, so between the French and the English, and lots of gestures, everyone seems to be figuring out everything they need to know.  A lot of these students were my students at MMS and it’s SO COOL to be here in France with them and to hear their French!

I’m surprised my brain has not exploded with all of the French and English going on in there right now!  Mme. Boyle and I speak French a lot to each other, even when there are no other French people around.  We also speak some English to French people when they want to practice speaking English with us.  It’s great to be surrounded by so much language!

Ok, that’s enough for today, check in tomorrow and I’ll have another update!

33 thoughts on “Jour Trois a Paris

1. Ms.Watson I downloaded the photostory on my computer but it still isn’t working. I’m not slacking of, I just have technical problems I can’t fix and I’m unable to work on it. Cool pictures by the way.

2. cool dont the french people drive on the opposite side of the road??? well i know the steering wheel is on the other side

3. Wow! Those are cool pictures! I really liked the one at the cemetary with the American soldiers.

4. I really wish that when I get to the high school, they’ll still have the trip to france

5. I think the pictures are so cool and at first i thought the cemetary was the one from D-day and i was like that is soo cool but then i read the caption and I was like well I I’m really stupied. And oh my god are the streets small enough and then the cars are even smaller!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. i rlly cant wait for the quebec trip but i want to go to france too….but i rlly want to go to highschool in france.. too bad i dont live there!!! nice pictures btw and really good information to know

7. that looks completly different from us especialy the spotlight all the stuff you did also the farm field

8. Looks like some cool pictures you said in my class that the cars are usually small because of the small back roads.